Monday, January 31, 2011

I'm rooting (vainly, I know) for "Inception"

Of the ten Best Picture nominees, I have seen “Inception,” “The King’s Speech,” “The Social Network,” “True Grit” and “Winter’s Bone.” I have to say that the one I enjoyed most and believe to be the best is “Inception.”

For me, “Inception” had it all. It made me think, and I had to pay attention to the film just to keep the plot right in my head. Not too many films do that these days. I loved the special effects as well. I also enjoyed being kept off balance as to what is or is not reality. I plead guilty to being a Science Fiction fan as well.

Of the supposedly two frontrunners, “The King’s Speech” and “The Social Network,” I preferred the latter. I had a chance to see both within a 24-hour period, and I must say that I was enthralled with “The Social Network.” “The King’s Speech” is a terrific film, but I really got off on the snappy dialog and music in “The Social Network.” I really hope that Aaron Sorkin wins for Best Writing.

I am not weighing in on the historical accuracy of either production. I’m just looking at it from what I experienced. I do admit that my vocation is in computers so I did like the modest computer geek speak that “The Social Network” presented.

I liked "True Grit," but I didn’t see anything that warranted a Best Picture nomination. It’s a good film and I would recommend anyone to see it, but it just didn’t float my boat. I also enjoyed "Winter’s Bone," but that kind of story isn’t really my cup of tea.

I’m now down to seeing no-brainer action/chase films (“Red,” “The Mechanic,” “Taken,” etc.). I went through the serious film viewer stage many, many moons ago, but now I just want to go see a movie and forgo the serious stuff.

Believe me; I only went to see “Inception” because of the SciFi angle, and I do like Christopher Nolan’s earlier stuff (“The Prestige,” “The Dark Knight” and “Memento”).

What with “The King’s Speech” raking in the Producers Guild and Screen Actors Guild awards, one has to believe that the “Best Picture” award is in the can.

No comments: