Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cowboys and Aliens - a fun film

So...a quickie review. I saw Cowboys and Aliens on opening day. I love Science Fiction and Westerns. Sounds like a good combo to me!

I was glad it was a straightforward film. Not any kind of camp. It had most of the cliches that the two genres can produce. But I must admit it was fun seeing Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig playing it straight and having to fight the nasty aliens. Not a classic by any means. It entertained me, and that's all I ask.

Speaking of "camp," one of my biggest disappointments was the TV debut of Batman is the 1960s. I was a BIG DC comics fan (had a subscription to Superman), and I couldn't WAIT for the new Batman series to debut. Was I crestfallen when it turned out to be jumpy "campy fun," instead of a straightforward show. Holy Bummer, Batman!

Unfortunately, the big hit Batman became affected my other TV show at the time, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. The first season was a great fun semi-serious rip off of the James Bond films that were floating around, but after Batman became a craze, the second and third seasons of U.N.C.L.E. jumped on the bandwagon. I was not amused...

No comments: