Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sadly, TV actors now shilling products in character

I was catching up on some of the TV series I watch, and yesterday I viewed last Sunday's "The Glades." Much to my amazement two characters were getting into a car, and one of the actors (I'll save him the embarrassment of naming him) said something to the effect of, "Oh, this is the new Kia Optima. I love this car! It's got a sun roof..." and so on. Unsurprisingly, the next commercial break had a Kia Optima spot. The episode was entitled "Gibtown" if you want to see it yourself.

Now I know we have to suffer through various types of product placements when watching a TV show (can of a certain soda brand on the table, Apple computer, etc.), but this really goes beyond the pale!

What scares me is that once something like this happens, it's just a matter of time when the actors will be shilling brands all through the show. I can see it now:

"Don't you DARE spritz me with that can of Reddi-Whip with real cream!"
"Care for a Bud Light, which has great taste but it's less filling?"
"Son, how's that iPad workin' for you with your school studies?"
"Damn, I missed my favorite show, 'Burn Notice'!"

You get the point. I do remember many years ago reading that the future will bring us the technology to point at various items on the TV screen during the show (possibly with some kind of laser pointer) such as a piece of furniture or character's clothing, a dialog balloon will popup with the details of the item and its price, and you can buy the item at that instant. Now that's impulse buying!

Of course, this is a corollary to my post regarding women who HAVE to buy Princess Kate's wedding dress. Sadly, the masses just need to have what the celebrities are either wearing or shilling.

I wonder how it goes when the purchaser talks with a friend or neighbor. "Look, Marge, I'm wearing what Piper Perabo wore in last week's episode of 'Covert Affairs'! Isn't it just DIVINE?!?!

No comments: