Friday, May 05, 2017

NYT Crossword 05/05/17 (Friday)

Cruciverbalist: Patrick Berry
Editor: Will Shortz

Solving time: 27:00

Puzzle uniqueness: 0

Patrick Berry is always a thorn in my side. I find it difficult to solve his puzzles. This is one that I solved. Feels great!

Words I hadn't known until now:

DORAG - "Crown cover"
PITAS - "Scoopers for taramasalata" (Have no idea what "taramasalata" is)
UGG - "___ boots" (Sorta know 'Ugg," but didn't know they were boots, per se)

Trivia I didn't know:

OSOLEMIO - "Song whose opening lyric translates to 'What a beautiful thing is a sunny day'"
URAL - "River bisecting Orsk"
POUNDSTERLING - "World's oldest currency still in use"
NATURE - "'She understands her business better than we do,' per Montaigne"
RESIN - "Substance used in Egyptian mummification"
PINES - "Seven ___ (Civil War battle site)"
ALI - "Who said 'I'm so mean I make medicine sick'"

Junk clues:

SGT - "Squad cmdr."

Clever clues:

TIRES - "Golf cart foursome"
HOUSETRAINING - "Instructions on where to go?"
HEELS - "Grate catches?"
LIB - "End of a cause?"
ICECAP - "Pole topper"
OVERALLS - "Agricultural outfit"
SOUNDBITE - "Conversation piece?"
MARS - "Opportunity's on it"
DEMOTAPES - "Things mailed without a label?"
MEASURING - "Ruler's role"
ECOLI - "Things that take guts?"
BANGBANG - "Reports of gunfire?"

No comments: