Thursday, April 20, 2017

"As if..."

I love movies. Always have. I remember being enthralled with them as a kid. I can watch the old films any time.

I'm lucky in that Fathom Events and Turner Classic Movies (TCM) have teamed up to screen classic films in theaters. They come in six-film cycles.

Which brings me to my attending a screening of Clueless yesterday. Of course, being retired and all, this wasn't exactly my kind of film. However, I do believe that I should attend the screenings as much as possible in order to try to keep the program viable. Hopefully, there is enough of a turnout that TPTB will keep continuing the program.

I have to at admit this film won me over. It's a very cute high school movie with a winning cast. I'm somewhat jaded when it comes to comedies, but I have to admit there were some very funny lines.

The plot is based on Jane Austen's book, Emma, if any one cares. I've never read an Austen book. Apparently, it sticks pretty close to the novel's plot.

I was perusing the trivia page for the movie on IMDb and learned something interesting. This movie is considered one of the "1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die," which is edited by Steven Schneider. Hmmm...not sure about that.

When I was checking out the bios of the actors, I was dismayed to find out about the tragic death of Brittany Murphy, who played Tai, in 2009. Very disturbing, I hope the truth will out.

All-in-all, I think this is worth one's time to see.

No comments: