Saturday, April 22, 2017

NYT Crossword 04/22/17 (Saturday)

Cruciverbalist: Adam Fromm
Editor: Will Shortz

Solving time: 20:58

Puzzle uniqueness:

A themeless. Looked tough at the start, but after I got a few short answers, three of the four fifteen-letter answers were in my wheelhouse, which broke it open.

Words I hadn't known until now:

AXILLA - "Armpit, to a doctor"
PAPIER - "Le Monde material" (As I've said before, Spanish is more my thing than Fr. or It.)
ATALANTA - "Only woman aboard the Argo, it's said"

Trivia I didn't know:

HEBRIDES - "Skye, the Small Isles, etc.

Junk Answers:

AWS - "Sounds of pity"
ECCLES - "Book after Proverbs: Abbr."
TRAD - "Like many folk songs: Abbr."

Clever clues:

TAN - "Change one's tone?"
RODEO - "What may involve the calf muscles?"

No comments: