Friday, April 21, 2017

NYT Crossword 04/21/17 (Friday)

Cruciverbalist: Damon Gulczynski
Editor: Will Shortz

Solving time: 27:47

Puzzle uniqueness:

A themeless. I will make the comment that the Friday and Saturday puzzles are really something. A lot of them (for me) look impossible to solve at first blush. I go around slowly picking at the short answers trying to get a foothold. Then one answer here, another there, and it slowly starts to come together. When I finally solve it, it feels like I've climbed Mt. Everest! Really cool!

Words I hadn't known until now:

HAG - "Beldam" (I know the word, it's the clue I didn't know)
CREMA - "Thin layer of foam at the top of an espresso"
TOTUP - "Add, British-style"
AFROPOP - "Genre for Miriam Makeba and Ladysmith Black Mambazo"
ANNEE - "Year abroad"
ASIAGO - "Pungent cheese"
LINTEL - "Doorframe part"

Trivia I didn't know:

APSES - "Areas where clerics are seated"
OFT - "'Our remedies ___ in ourselves do lie': Shak."
HELLOKITTY - "Toon who wears a red hair bow"
EMU - "Producer of a deep drumming call"
ETHAN - "'_____ Brand' (Nathaniel Hawthorne tale)"

Junk Answers:

No real horrible ones

Clever clues:

PIECHARTS - "Business circles?"
LIDS - "They're open in the morning"
GRAMMARNAZI - "Type for who this clue will be annoying?"
USER - "One who might need an ID"
TOTALBASES - "A batter receives four for a grand slam" (So wanted this to be "runs batted in")

No comments: